Lately I have been feeling like a ghost. It all started around three years ago with an empty packet of Chinese cigarettes I saw on the floor at Deptford market. Little did I know then that this was the first piece of evidence in a huge investigation that has required masses of paperwork and the collection of many rare artifacts. This blog is a place to keep all of it safe.
SO
Here are some findings:
The Four Freshmen on the Dusty Springfield show in 1966. See them do It's a Blue World at 2:00. See also Al Bowlly and the Caretaker. These things, among many others, fit into an investigation I'm working on that involves trying to perceive ghosts. I have also been reading Austerlitz and Vertigo by W.G. Sebald and have found he tries to see them as well. Other people who see and describe ghosts are Robinson in Patrick Keiller's films, John Rogers, Burial and of course Mark Fisher. I think these videos and texts really speak for themselves in getting across the gist of how to look for them.
I listen to a lot of jungle at the moment. It makes me feel like I'm in a high-speed time-lapsed video of a busy train station. Perfect music for traveling around in freezing, dark London. There are plenty of ghosts in this music too. Lost singers.
I looked back through some recent and older things I made and found these, which feel to me like they kind of fit into what I'm talking about.
-
Narcissists hate dogs. Dogs love them anyway. The apparitions grow stronger as I wolf down my scrambled eggs. Every day now I see people who look like drawings. Just their heads, the bodies are real.
Walking through Southwark park I see a small boy in his school uniform absent-mindedly smoking a cigarette.
-
We began a stunted conversation about the wresting on the tv. I eventually made my excuses and left, planning to walk on for a while. I went up to Camberwell and stopped to buy cigarettes, then I walked through East Street and Walworth on towards Kennington. I stood for a while on the footbridge above the road tunnel at Vauxhall station and watched drunk people stumbling to and from the public urinal. I crossed the river and walked up Millbank and over to Embankment. I always bought something for myself on these walks, any inane item I could look at in curiosity once I got back home. Coming towards Charing Cross station I ducked into a tourist shop. On the floor in the front of the shop was a pile of boxes all marked Deluxe Ornament: The Epitome of Art and Style. The box was a little worn when I picked it up but it had a good weight and size. I bought it within a minute and left the shop. Later on I drifted back home on the upper deck of a bus. When I got off I saw that a light was on in a car a few yards from my house.
As the investigation continues I'll add more evidence to the pile. I'm still grasping for something I can't quite describe, so this may seem like a random assortment of jumbled nothingness. Maybe it is.
all the best
yorick
p.s. I've made a playlist of music that has ghosts in it which you can find here

No comments:
Post a Comment